The National Park Service recently announced three South Carolina historical sites have officially been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places, a division of the National Park Service, is the official repository of the Nation’s historic sites and structures deemed worthy of preservation. A product of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register includes more than 90,000 sites in the United States.
Recently listed properties in South Carolina include:
- St. Luke’s Parish Zion Chapel of Ease Cemetery (Beaufort County)
The Zion Chapel of Ease Cemetery is listed in the National Register for its distinctive eighteenth and nineteenth-century funerary art and historical significance to the understanding of the Hilton Head planter elite through the study of mortuary practices. It is believed that the cemetery contains the oldest intact structure on the island, the Baynard Mausoleum. Zion Chapel of Ease Cemetery is a remarkable and rare piece of physical above-ground evidence of Hilton Head’s colonial and antebellum history.
Gifford Rosenwald School (Hampton County)
Constructed in 1920, the Gifford Rosenwald School is listed in the National Register for its association with African-American education in Hampton County from 1920 to 1958. The school serves as a reminder of the history of racial segregation in South Carolina’s public school system and remains a tangible representation of the community’s efforts to resist a separate and unequal school system.
Pelzer Manufacturing Company Historic District (Anderson County)
Located in the heart of the original Pelzer Mill Village, the historic district contains a variety of mill housing and commercial buildings. The district is significant for its historical association with the mill industry and for its architecture, which is modest yet nevertheless significant as a relatively intact example of a rural mill village. The Pelzer Manufacturing Company Historic District represents a period of significance beginning with the company’s development in 1881 until its acquisition by Gerber Childrenswear Company (formerly the Kendall Company) in 1954.
In South Carolina, the National Register of Historic Places program is administered by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. For more information on the program, please visit shpo.sc.gov.
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History is an independent state agency whose mission is to preserve and promote the documentary and cultural heritage of the Palmetto State. The department houses one of the most comprehensive state archival collections in the nation, spanning more than 325 years of South Carolina history.
The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) encourages and facilitates the responsible stewardship of South Carolina’s irreplaceable historic and prehistoric places. The SHPO was established in 1969 to implement the goals of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, which extended federal support to state and local preservation efforts. The SHPO, which receives federal funds through the National Park Service, is a program of the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
Featured photo: St. Luke’s Parish Zion Chapel of Ease in Beaufort County.