October 5, 2015 (Columbia, S.C.)- SERVPRO, a national water and fire cleanup and restoration company, is urging Midlands flood victims to use proper protocol to ensure quickest and most effective mitigation services. As a result of a 1000 year flood that has devastated the Midlands and coastal areas, local SERVPRO franchises have been inundated with calls for water cleanup. Each of the four local franchises, consisting of SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia & Lexington, SERVPRO of the Dutch Fork, SERVPRO of Orangeburg and SERVPRO of Richland County, have turned administration responsibilities over to the National Storm Team to assist in helping flood victims.
Local residents who have experienced a loss are asked to take specific steps to report damages. The effects of this storm could cause some customers to wait weeks before basic water mitigation can be performed, and months before properties are back to pre-loss conditions.
Water Damage Mitigation and Reporting
- If you are in immediate danger or trapped in the property, call 911.
- Ensure area is safe before entering- turn off power to the property if standing water is present. Boil water vigorously before drinking. Follow other safety tips listed here.
- Perform Mitigation if Possible
- If available, place sandbags at property entrances.
- Remove any standing water with buckets and towels, careful not to expose skin to flood water which may contain bacteria.
- Place furniture on wooden blocks or pads to prevent staining. Move all electronics and valuables to higher ground.
- Follow other mitigation tips here.
- Request Help
- For Quickest Response Download SERVPRO Emergency Ready App and begin entering basic property information- Name, Number, Address, Approximate Square Footage of Property, Age of building, Flooring type, Emergency Contact. Include insurance policy account information if available.
- Click “Request Help Now”
- Immediately call 1-800-SERVPRO. Mention the ERP just submitted (call center should have instant access). Provide the dispatch officer any other information requested.
- If a smart device isn’t available, call 1-800-SERVPRO to place a claim. ERP customers may see quicker response rates, but the app is not mandatory for mitigation services.
- Call any other contractors to be placed on a list for services- this might include roofers, plumbers, electricians, or HVAC specialists.
- Notify Insurance
- If you are experiencing a roof leak, your home-owners policy most likely covers the damages. Call with account information and let them know which contractors have been contacted. If the contractor is not covered under the policy, cancel the work order and request services with the provider recommended.
- If you are experiencing a damage from flood waters from the ground level, your home-owners policy might not cover the loss. Keep in mind that under storm situations most companies will not be able to accept bids for pricing estimates due to the extreme nature of the situation. Residents would be advised to choose a reputable company and allow for basic mitigation services as quickly as possible (check the Better Business Bureau or the SC Secretary of State for quick references). The company should be able to update the customer on pricing periodically soon after work begins. Additionally, it is customary in emergency situations for many companies like SERVPRO to ask for down payments before work begins. To avoid scams, it is highly advised to only provide payments to companies verified by the previously mentioned sites.
SERVPRO maintains insurance-mandated Xactimate pricing during storm events as required by our National Accounts guidelines. We maintain the highest level of integrity in providing fair and equitable service during this distressing time in our community.
Should an out of town SERVPRO handle a local loss, the community franchises will be available to see each customer is fully serviced and provided for until the property is back to pre-loss condition.
For more safety and water mitigation information visit:
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO® Franchise System is a national leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO’s professional services network of nearly 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar losses. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.
About SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia and Lexington
Since 1968, SERVPRO has been active in the Midlands community as a professional and deeply rooted family-run business. Luther Williams established SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia and Lexington with a dream of helping property owners during their most pressing water and fire emergencies. Luther’s grandchildren, Tia Williams and Taylor Williams, currently own and operate SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia and Lexington. Together they have over 20 years of cleaning and restoration experience.
SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia and Lexington enjoys partnering with 32 fellow associates in South Carolina and thousands nationwide to make any size disaster “like it never even happened.”
Connect with SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia and Lexington: