As many of you know, 2015 marks the 150th anniversary of Sherman’s March through Lexington County and the end of the Civil War. However, 2015 is also significant to the Lexington County Museum as it’s also the 200th anniversary of the construction of the Oak Grove School House now located on the grounds of the museum. Built as a field school (schools usually constructed on an unused field), the one-room structure originally stood near the intersection of modern day Mineral Springs Road and Oak Drive in the Oak Grove area east of the town of Lexington. Fifteen to twenty students of both sexes would have attended the school, which usually would have had a male teacher before the Civil War. The school year followed the agricultural seasons, so there was no school when the children were needed to help with farming tasks. Homework was non-existent though children had to go home and help with chores after school. It lacks a ceiling so that hot air can rise and it features a wooden shingle roof, just like it would have at the time of its construction. This school building was used until replaced by another building around 1880. It was then used as a barn by a local family and was donated to the museum in the 1980s. Come check out this important piece of Lexington County history along with twenty-nine other historic structures at the Lexington County Museum from 10 am to 4 pm Tuesday through Saturday and 1 pm to 4 pm on Sundays!