As of 11:35 a.m. today, our community has raised more than $430,000 dollars (nearly half-way to $1 million!) since midnight for local nonprofits during Midlands Gives, the third annual 24-hour online giving day, at http://www.MidlandsGives.org.
PRIZES AWARDED to nonprofits so far:
- First Citizens Power Hour ($1,000 to 1 small & 1 large nonprofit w/ most unique donors; announced 8am): PAALS (small) & Historic Columbia (large)
- #ColonialLifeCares Prize 1 ($500, randomly drawn; announced 8am): St. John Neumann
- Announcement of SCE&G “Energize Prize” – If we raise $1 million by 5pm, SCE&G will donate $1,000 each to 30 randomly drawn nonprofits
- “BB&T First 100 Gifts” check presentation by Bam Gressette, Central Carolina Community Foundation board member and Regional Director of Portfolio Management for South Carolina, Georgia and Florida for BB&T Wealth Management (nonprofit winners TBA)
It’s been an exciting day at Midlands Gives Headquarters, located at Spirit Communications Park, home of the Columbia Fireflies! Coming up at HQ:
- Regional Mayors’ Pitching Contest, sponsored by Nephron, 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., featuring Midlands mayors pitching for their favorite causes
- Food and drink concessions during lunch, 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m
- Governor Nikki Haley on-site 1-1:30 p.m.
- Nonprofit Marketplace w/ tables manned by 70 nonprofits, until 8:00 p.m.
- Happy Hour with food, beer and wine concessions, 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Live concert during Happy Hour by Heart n’ Soul band, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Meet-and-greet with Columbia Fireflies mascot, Mason, 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Nonprofit supporters can come and cheer for their causes on live newscasts at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm and 11pm
**Due to some technical issues on the back end of the national KIMBIA platform (which is how Midlands Gives donations are processed), the Central Carolina Community Foundation has decided to move one of the biggest prizes of the day from 12pm to 5pm.
The Aflac 12pm Match Minute will move to 5pm, when the available matching gifts will be doubled from 100 gifts to 200 gifts.
During Aflac Match Minutes, any donations of exactly $100 will be matched by Aflac, up to $10,000, or 100 matches.
Photo caption: Springdale Mayor Michael Bishop participating in the mayors’ throwing contest for charity at Midlands Gives.