Answers to FAQs, transportation and accommodation details, schedule, and ways to give to One SC Flood Relief Fund and Harvest Hope Food Bank at S.C.’s largest free NYE celebration
Dec. 29, 2015 (COLUMBIA, S.C.) – Famously Hot New Year – South Carolina’s largest free New Year’s Eve celebration – takes place this Thursday, Dec. 31, 2015, from 6:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. in front of the S.C. State House at Main and Gervais, in Columbia, S.C., the New Southern Hot Spot. In its fifth year, Famously Hot New Year (#FHNY) is free and open to all ages, encompassing a free, full-length concert by Ms. Lauryn Hill and three S.C. bands, a midnight countdown with Columbia, S.C., Mayor Steve Benjamin, the most colossal NYE fireworks display in the Carolinas, and a range of family-friendly events, attractions, and hospitality offerings within blocks of the event. View schedule, transportation options and more at www.famouslyhotnewyear.com.
Support Flood Relief Online and at Entry Gates
The public is encouraged to donate to the One SC Flood Relief Fund at www.onescfund.org or text “onesc” to short code 33923, and donations via cash and check will be accepted at any of the 10 giving stations at Famously Hot New Year entry gates. Guests can also bring non-perishable food items for Harvest Hope Food Bank; volunteers from the University of South Carolina’s Flood Relief (#UofSCRelief) initiative will staff the giving stations.
FAQs for Famously Hot New Year
- What if it rains or snows?
- This is a rain or shine celebration. If it rains, bring a rain jacket, as umbrellas are prohibited.
- Is admission really free?
- Famously Hot New Year is free for all ages! No tickets needed. Food, party novelties, beer, wine and sparkling wine will be available for purchase inside festival gates.
- What is the best way to get there?
- FHNY encourages guests to take The COMET, local taxi cabs or carpools to and from FHNY. While eight City of Columbia parking garages are free, demand is expected to exceed supply. Guests can plan their FHNY, from transportation to accommodation, online: http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/plan.
- What time will Ms. Lauryn Hill take the stage?
- Gates open at 6:30 p.m., and the first of three opening bands begins at 7 p.m. Ms. Lauryn Hill’s full-length set begins at approximately 10:30 p.m., pausing for the midnight countdown and fireworks, then resuming to round out the evening before festival bars give last call at 12:30 a.m. See the full schedule online: http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/schedule
- Is Famously Hot New Year kid-friendly?
- Yes! FHNY is family-friendly, with partnered events geared toward children like Main Street ICE and WOW! New Year’s Eve Carnival. Guests must be 21+ to purchase or consume alcohol.
- Can I bring a bag/blanket/chairs/my dog?
- While guests are allowed to bring a small bag, light packing is encouraged to streamline the security checks at each entry gate. Chairs and pets are not allowed (service animals permitted).
Prohibited items at FHNY:
- Backpacks, containers, coolers or picnic baskets of any kind (small bags permitted)
- Umbrellas (bring a rain coat in case of inclement weather)
- Food, beverage and alcohol (food, drinks, beer, wine and sparkling wine will be sold)
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters or personal motorized vehicles (exceptions for people with mobility limitations)
- Pets (service dogs allowed)
- Chairs, tables, lawn furniture or other furniture
- Fireworks, sparklers and explosives of any kind
- Musical instruments and laser pointers
- Weapons of any kind
- Illegal substances
- Illegal vending (no unauthorized/unlicensed vendors allowed)
View more FAQs here: www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/faqs.
FHNY urges locals to utilize the affordable, clean and safe transportation system offered by The COMET for just $3 flat, with unlimited rides to and from FHNY via two options: visiting a local bus stop and hopping on one of 12 regularly-running routes, or driving to one of six easy park-and-ride locations. Buses will run across the Midlands beginning at 6:00 a.m. December 31, with the last pickup from FHNY at Sumter and Lady Streets at 1:30 a.m. the night of the event.
Alert Cab Discounts
Those who need a safe ride home can take an Alert Cab, for which the first $10 of each taxi cab fare is complimentary thanks to sponsors KW Beverage and Budweiser. Catch an Alert Cab on Lady St., between Main and Sumter.
Eight downtown Columbia parking garages will be free as of 5:00 p.m. on FHNY, but street closures will be in effect starting Wednesday, Dec. 30, 8:00 a.m., and parking will be limited due to what is expected to be high demand. Guests who take a safe ride home via The COMET or Alert Cab can pick up their vehicles the following day.
Explore all transportation options online: http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/getting-to-FHNY-transportation-options.
Where to Dine, Drink, Stay and Shop
Famously Hot New Year encourages the public to support local businesses and restaurants who are offering their own VIP experiences and pre-parties for New Year’s Eve on Main Street and in other close by hospitality districts. Additionally, several hotels throughout the Midlands are featuring special deals for Famously Hot New Year weekend, at which guests are encouraged to make plans as soon as possible. Guests can explore hospitality offerings online: http://www.columbiacvb.com/events/signature-events/new-years-eve/.
Where to Visit During the Street Party
- Enter through any 5 entry gates: on Lady St. at Assembly St.; Lady at Sumter; Gervais at Assembly; Gervais at Sumter; and Main at Washington
- #SCStrong Wall, where guests can voice their hopes, wishes and visions for S.C. in 2016, on Main St. at the corner of Lady St.
- “Comfort Zone” seated space to enjoy food and drink from vendors with street buskers and entertainers, at the corner of Main and Lady
- Main Street ICE rink at Boyd Plaza, 12 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- WOW! New Year’s Eve Carnival, 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at Main and Hampton
- Concert stage at Main and Gervais, 7:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Map out your FHNY experience online: http://www.famouslyhotnewyear.com/fhny-event-map.
FHNY Celebration Schedule
12 p.m.—12 a.m. | Main Street ICE rink at Boyd Plaza (Main at Hampton streets)
6:00 p.m.—11:00 p.m | WOW! New Year’s Eve Carnival (Main at Hampton streets)
6:30 p.m. | Concert gates open
7:00 p.m.—7:45 p.m. | Dead 27s perform
8:00 p.m.—8:30 p.m. | ColorBlind performs
9:00 p.m.—10:00 p.m. | SUSTO performs
10:30 p.m.—11:55 p.m. | Ms. Lauryn Hill performs
11:55 p.m.—12:10 a.m. | Midnight festivities & fireworks
12:10—12:30 a.m. | Headliner finale and dancing
12:30 a.m. | Beer, wine and champagne sales end
1:00 a.m. | Celebration ends
Ms. Lauryn Hill in Concert With Three S.C. Bands
Ms. Lauryn Hill, iconic GRAMMY-winning R&B recording artist (“Doo Wop (That Thing),” “Ex-Factor,” “Everything is Everything,” “Killing Me Softly”), will headline the free concert at Famously Hot New Year. Ms. Hill will be supported by three South Carolinian opening acts: award-winning, Charleston-based alt-country band SUSTO; Columbia’s “folk-hop” project ColorBlind feat. Justin Smith, FatRat Da Czar and DJ Shekeese the Beast; and Charleston-based vintage rock group, Dead 27s.
Live Broadcast, Celebrity Emcees and Co-Chairs
The event will be live broadcast on TV by WLTX News 19 and via radio by Alpha Media stations The Big DM 101.3/WWDM and Hot 103.9/WHXT. WLTX anchor Darci Strickland, three-time Emmy-award winning journalist and University of South Carolina alum, will co-emcee FHNY, along with Big DM DJ and Operations Manager Chris Connors, multi-award winning radio host. Famously Hot New Year’s co-chairs and official spokespeople are Jill Armbruster, marketing director at UCI Medical Affiliates and Amos Disasa, pastor of Downtown Church.
City of Columbia and Richland County hospitality tax provide close to 40% of funding, while more than 60% of funding is provided by corporate citizens. Presenting Sponsor: BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina (#LiveFearlessSC); Gold Sponsors: Aflac, WLTX; Healthy Living Sponsor: Palmetto Health and the Walk for Life, Jan. 9, 2016; Fireworks Sponsor: SCE&G; Silver Sponsors: Hub at Columbia, Colonial Life, Pepsi of the Carolinas, Alpha Media and Budweiser/KW Beverage.
About Famously Hot New Year
Set on South Carolina’s Main Street, Famously Hot New Year is the Palmetto State’s largest New Year’s Eve party, with a free, live outdoor concert by Ms. Lauryn Hill and the most colossal NYE fireworks display in the two Carolinas. In its fifth year, Famously Hot New Year extends its mission of bringing diverse communities together by supporting the One SC Flood Relief Fund at Central Carolina Community Foundation, with the hope of ringing in a new year of strength and renewal for our #SCStrong state. Last year, Famously Hot New Year drew a diverse crowd of more than 28,000 guests from across the region and nation to enjoy the free concert and fireworks; regional food vendors; plentiful cash bars with beer, wine and bubbly in a festival atmosphere; a family-friendly street carnival and ice rink; free parking and more in vibrant downtown Columbia, S.C., the “New Southern Hot Spot.” Plan your #FHNY and donate to #SCFloodRelief at www.famouslyhotnewyear.com.
SOCIAL Facebook: Facebook.com/FamouslyHotNewYear
HASHTAGS #FHNY | #FHNYinfo | #GiveAToast
MEDIA CONTACT Chloe Rodgers, Flock and Rally, 843.230.1611, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracie Broom, Flock and Rally, 415.235.5718, email@example.com