Famously Hot New Year is South Carolina’s biggest New Year’s Eve party, with a free outdoor concert by five time GRAMMY-winner Ms. Lauryn Hill and three S.C. bands; a midnight countdown with Mayor Steve Benjamin; and the most colossal NYE fireworks in the two Carolinas – set at the historic State House on S.C.’s Main Street in Columbia, S.C. Guests will enjoy local food, beer, wine & bubbly; the family-friendly WOW! NYE Carnival and Main Street Ice rink; COMET buses and park-and-rides until 2 a.m., $10 off Alert Cabs, free parking and more. Plan your #FHNY at www.famouslyhotnewyear.com.
WHEN: Thursday, December 31, 2015, 6:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
WHERE: The intersection of Main St. and Gervais St. in Columbia, S.C., in front of S.C. State House (Capitol Center Plaza, 1201 Main Street, Columbia, S.C. 29201). The celebration stretches down Main Street to the WOW! NYE Carnival and Main Street Ice Rink at Boyd Plaza (Hampton and Main).
- Lauryn Hill, 5-time GRAMMY-winning R&B singer and music industry icon (The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill; “Doo Wop (That Thing);” “Killing Me Softly”)
- SUSTO, Charleston, S.C., “Progressive American” indie band
- ColorBlind, Columbia-based “folk-hop,” DJ set with full band
- Dead 27s, locally renowned, Charleston, S.C. Southern rock group
- Hosted by Columbia, S.C. Mayor Steve Benjamin; emcees Darci Strickland, WLTX News 19 anchor, and Chris Connors, Big DM 101.3 DJ; as well as FHNY Co-Chairs Amos Disasa and Jill Armbruster.
SCENE: A diverse, fun-loving crowd of 28,000 people of all ages and social backgrounds from across the region and nation, gathering to ring in a new year of strength and renewal in The New Southern Hot Spot.
KID-FRIENDLY: Families enjoy the free WOW! NYE Carnival, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. & the Main Street Ice rink, 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. (Note: There is a fee for Main Street Ice Rink.)
BACKGROUND: In its fifth year, FHNY has grown from a 20,000-guest festival in 2011 to a 28,000-guest celebration in 2014. It is funded by the City of Columbia, Richland County and corporate citizens such as presenting sponsor BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina. In 2014, hotel and restaurant revenue each measured close to $500,000; hotel occupancy has increased across the board since FHNY launched; and 39% of guests came from outside of Richland County.
DONATE TO S.C. FLOOD RELIEF: The public is encouraged to donate to the One SC Flood Relief Fund at www.onescfund.org or by texting “onesc” to short code at 33923; cash donations to the fund also will be accepted at Famously Hot New Year entry gates. Guests can also bring non-perishable food items to any of the event entry gates on NYE for donation to Harvest Hope Food Bank.
The eight City of Columbia parking garages surrounding the event will offer free parking as of 5:00 p.m. on New Year’s Eve. Drivers who opt for a safe ride home via special COMET bus service, Alert Cab sponsored by Budweiser and KW Beverage, or friends/family may leave their vehicles overnight for pickup on New Year’s Day. City of Columbia garages will be free on Saturday, Jan. 2 and Sunday, Jan. 3 for those who wish to make a weekend of it in The New Southern Hot Spot!
LATE NIGHT COMET BUS SERVICE & PARK-AND-RIDE LOCATIONS
The COMET will offer special park-and-ride locations as well as late night bus service. For just $3, riders can catch any of The COMET buses to and from FHNY. Buses will be operating from 6:00 a.m. December 31 until 2:00 a.m. January 1. (Last pickup on Sumter Street at Lady Street to depart FHNY is 1:30 a.m.)
How to get your $3 unlimited COMET bus pass:
- On your first bus of the day, you can purchase a pass. Note: CASH ONLY is accepted on bus!
- On the Catch The COMET smartphone app here.
- At the main downtown Transit Center at the corner of Sumter and Laurel Streets. Cash, checks and major credit/debit cards are accepted there.
This year’s park-and-ride locations include the following:
- Harbison Area: Near the Harbison Walmart parking lot near Sam’s Club gas station
- Farrow Road: Columbia Neurosurgical Office by Rabon Road
- Northeast Columbia: Village at Sandhill near Fashion Drive
- Two Notch Road: Columbia Place Road near Faust Avenue
- Forest Drive: Park at Trenholm Plaza, board across the street near the Forest Acres clock
- Garners Ferry: Near the Walmart lot. The bus stop is on Greenlawn
ALERT CAB DISCOUNTS
Guests enjoy a $10 discount on Alert Cabs, sponsored by Budweiser and KW Beverage, at Lady and Sumter.
- Famously Hot New Year: 6:30 PM – 12:30 AM
- WOW NYE Carnival: 6 p.m. – 11 p.m.
- Main Street Ice @ Boyd Plaza: 12 p.m. – 12 a.m.
- Attractions and NYE private parties across the Midlands, Riverbanks Zoo open New Year’s Day
6:30 PM: Gates open
7:00 PM-7:45 PM: Band 1 – Dead 27s
8:00 PM-8:30 PM: Band 2 – ColorBlind
9:00 PM-10:00 PM: Band 3 – SUSTO
10:30 PM-11:55 PM: Headliner – Ms. Lauryn Hill
11:55 PM-12:15 AM: Midnight festivities and fireworks
12:15 AM-12:30 AM: Headliner finale
12:30 AM: Beer sales end
1:00 AM: Gates close
#FHNY | #FHNYinfo | #GiveAToast
- Famously Hot New Year Home Page: http://bit.ly/1MQUFQM
- Enter to win hotel, dinner, bubbly & more: http://bit.ly/1OVhcCe
- Transportation: http://bit.ly/1XMYrCz
- FAQS: http://bit.ly/1S7H3Ft
- The Street Party: http://bit.ly/1kMFdPb
- Fireworks: http://bit.ly/1OVfiBp
- WOW! NYE Carnival: http://bit.ly/1OVfsbW
- Sponsors: http://bit.ly/208zrri
- Español: http://bit.ly/1NyhTOD
- Volunteer: http://bit.ly/1MQYGVw
- C. Flood Relief: http://bit.ly/1PSiMDV
Famously Hot New Year Mission Statement
To host an unforgettable New Year’s Eve celebration that brings together diverse communities in the Midlands as well as visitors from around the nation and the world, enhancing the perception of the Midlands as “The New Southern Hot Spot.”
Famously Hot New Year Vision Statement
The Midlands region of South Carolina becomes more widely acknowledged as an ideal place to live, work, play and visit, with increased tourism, elevated economic prosperity, and more vibrant, connected communities.
About Famously Hot New Year
Set on South Carolina’s Main Street, Famously Hot New Year is the Palmetto State’s largest New Year’s Eve party, with a free, live outdoor concert by a national headliner and the most colossal NYE fireworks display in the two Carolinas. In its fifth year, Famously Hot New Year extends its mission of bringing diverse communities together by supporting the One SC Flood Relief Fund, with the hope of ringing in a new year of strength and renewal for our #SCStrong state. Last year, Famously Hot New Year drew a diverse crowd of more than 28,000 guests from across the region and nation to enjoy the free concert and fireworks; regional food vendors; plentiful cash bars with beer, wine and bubbly in a festival atmosphere; a family-friendly street carnival and ice rink; free parking and more in vibrant downtown Columbia, S.C., the “New Southern Hot Spot.” Plan your #FHNY and donate to S.C. Flood Relief at www.famouslyhotnewyear.com.
Chloe Rodgers, Flock and Rally, 843.230.1611, email@example.com
Tracie Broom, Flock and Rally, 415.235.5718, firstname.lastname@example.org