(Columbia, SC) Midlands Technical College has been designated as a VetSuccess on Campus site by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. MTC, one of the largest providers of Veterans’ Education Services in South Carolina, is the only college in South Carolina to have this designation. In Fall 2015, MTC was selected by the U.S. Department for Veterans’ Affairs (VA) as one of 10 VetSuccess on Campus sites to be highlighted by the VA. The VA Regional Director was on campus to talk with veterans and other MTC students about resources for veterans’ success and the MTC-VA VetSuccess on Campus partnership.
VetSuccess on Campus locations are designed to help ease Veterans’ transition to student life and assist them in achieving their educational and career goals through VA’s Post-9/11 GI Bill and other education benefit programs. VetSuccess on Campus sites serve as one-stop shops for student veterans and are staffed by a counselor who assists with:
• Information on VA benefits such as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, education benefits, home loan guaranty, and life insurance
• Guidance and support while using VA educational benefits
• Electing healthcare benefits with the Veterans Health Administration
• Information and referrals to VA Medical Center and Vet Center
• Information on submitting a claim for disability compensation
• Employment information and assistance
• Information on community resources
In addition to being a VetSuccess on Campus site, MTC has established a Veterans’ Advisory Council of college and community personnel, a Student Veterans Organization, and has a dedicated Office of Veterans’ Affairs that oversees veterans’ services on campus. The college’s VA Office has consistently exceeded 90 percent satisfaction ratings by student veterans and dependents over the past 10 years.