The Columbia Empowerment Zone, Inc. held a groundbreaking ceremony for construction of new apartment units on Monday, February 19, 2018 next door to the North Main Plaza.
“I want to thank the members of this Columbia Empowerment Zone, Inc. board,” said Congressman James E. Clyburn. “We’re here today to witness the growth of the North Columbia area. Many of you may recall that the empowerment zones were born out of legislation back in 1993. It was President Clinton’s first budget, this concept had been floating around a lot of years.”
“There have been a number of people who has helped us get to this point,” said Councilman Sam Davis. “We wanted to make sure the final project would be something that’s consistent with the long range discussions, plans and vision for this corridor.”
“Others have recognized City staff and the City Manager may mention her staff as well, but there’s so much support for the City’s staff and that’s not by accident it is because we as a city family know how important this project is to the entire City of Columbia and that is why we all support it,” said Councilwoman Tameika Isaac Devine.
“Everybody should remember the Empowerment Zone in Columbia was one of the most successful in the country, it took a lot of fight to get it started, but we feel empowered now for the work that has been done. While the City’s economy is blossoming Mayor Benjamin, City Council and myself have remained concerned that we do not want to price out people in our City. We want to ensure you that we have a compromising commitment to making sure that growth is accompanied by inclusion for everyone,” said City Manager Teresa Wilson.
The Veranda at North Main will be comprised of fifty-eight (58) apartments. Five of the units will be ADA compliant and two of the units for sense-impaired (deaf and/or blind residents). The needs of a senior population will be considered in the design of the Veranda at North Main, which will be rich in amenities. The Veranda at North Main will use resource efficient design and building materials, careful construction waste management and recycling, and energy efficient systems to lower the environmental impact of construction and to reduce the resource consumption by residents.
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit Project
- Three (3) Story Elevator Building
- 12 Affordable Apartments at 50% of Area Medium Income
- 40 Affordable Apartments at 60% of Area Medium Income
- 6 Market Rate Apartments
- Many services on site or walking distance
- On-site laundry facilities
- Game/recreation room
- Fully-equipped computer center
- Fully-equipped fitness center
- Units will be fully accessible
- Units will have grab bars installed in the bathrooms
- The showers feature low-flow shower-heads with adjustable height
- Units will have emergency call systems and be pre-wired for security
- Energy-Star refrigerators
- Dish-washers, in-sink disposals, ceiling fans, and washer/dryer hookups in every unit
- Stoves will have front controls and powder based fire suppression canisters
For more information, please call the Columbia Empowerment Zone Inc. at (803) 255-8129.