We’re a few weeks out from full-on holiday mayhem, which means you should also be neck-deep in putting together your digital marketing strategy for 2018 (right? Right!?).
As a digital agency, we often do a lot of the heavy lifting putting together strategies for our clients. But we also know many small to mid-size businesses shoulder this responsibility alone, along with all the other day-to-day responsibilities of running their business.
No matter how daunting this task might seem, we strongly advise taking some extra time to think through your digital marketing strategy for 2018. It’s the best way to help you determine which tactics will benefit your business the most, and can save yourself a lot of time and headaches come March—when you’ll already know exactly how you’ll be marketing your latest product launch.
If you’ll take our word for it, we hope that means you’ve got a few Mondays ahead of you dedicated to reviewing your efforts from 2017, analyzing what worked and what didn’t, and planning for a successful 2018.
There’s no one right way to put together a digital marketing strategy. We’ve seen clients use everything from Word docs to PowerPoint to spreadsheets to fancy templates they’ve found online.
We think strategy is much less about presentation, and much more about the savvy thinking and planning behind it. And one great way to get in the “strategy zone” is to ask yourself some key questions.
To ease the process for you a bit, we’ve pulled together the following questions to ask yourself when putting together your 2018 strategy. Use one of them, use all of them…it’s up to you. We hope they’re a helpful starting point, and that you have your best year yet as a result.
Good luck, and happy strategizing!
- What resonated with my customers this year? How can I continue to deliver this value in 2018?
- What was the best thing I heard from a customer this year? The worst?
- How have my reviews changed over the last year? Do customers seem just as satisfied? More? Less?
- How are my customers responding to my business/product/service online (e.g. social media, emails, in person conversations, testimonials, downloads, clicks)? What emotional cues can I take from their responses?
- How do I want my customers to think about my business/product/service in 2018?
- How do I want my customers to feel about my business/product/service in 2018?
- What do I want my customers to do MORE of around my business/product/service in 2018?
- What do I want my customers to do LESS of around my business/product/service in 2018?
- What three words would I use to describe my business in 2017? What three words would I like to describe my business in 2018?
- What questions did my customers ask most this year? How can I address them next year?
- What did my customers continually type into the search bar on my website? What can I do to make this information more readily available in 2018?
- What did I spend too much on in 2017? Too little?
- How much revenue did my ads/content/emails really bring in? Are my returns justifying the spend?
- What frustrates me most about digital marketing? How can I alleviate these frustrations in 2018?
- Which marketing tactics feel like they take too much time (but I complete anyway)?
- Which marketing tactics do I feel I never have enough time to complete (and never finish)?
- Which marketing tactics always feel easy to accomplish?
- Which marketing tactics feel unnecessarily difficult?
- What felt like it was missing from my marketing strategy in 2017? How can I add it to my strategy in 2018?
- What can I outsource in 2018?
- Which employees can support me with digital marketing?
- Which customers would provide great testimonials?
- What are my unhappiest customers saying about my business/product/service in 2017? How can I change their minds in 2018?
- What seems to be missing from my website?
- If I had an unlimited budget, what would be the first thing I’d spend my marketing dollars on? Is there a way to rearrange my actual budget to hit these goals?
- If my customers had to know just one thing about my business/product/service in 2018, what would it be?
- What story does my 2017 data tell about my business/product/service?
Want help with your 2018 strategy? Let’s talk.
The Karcher Group is a digital agency offering online marketing and web development services
since 1997. Located in Columbia, SC and North Canton, OH, The Karcher Group partners with
businesses to improve their sales and leads. For more information, call 800-310-0317 or visit